Pride Run & Walk 2015
The important stuff you need to know…
Can you believe that our 11th annual Pride Run & Walk is finally here? We’re so excited about this year’s event as we have lots in store. Our overall participation rate far exceeds last year and we’re really looking forward to seeing everyone on race day.
We have lots of prizes and giveaways, DJ’s are lined up, the volunteers are ready and our famous disco water station will be waiting for you. We can barely contain our excitement as the next week unfolds.
Now, for the stuff you need to know:
Race Package Pickup
The race package consists of your running bib number (timing chip is affixed to the back of the race numbers) and a few other goodies. If you ordered a technical t-shirt during your registration, then this will also be part of your race package.
There are two opportunities to pick up your race package.
1. Thursday 23rd July – from 5pm to 9pm at The Running Room on Denman Street (Suite 103, 679 Denman Street, Vancouver BC, V6G 2L3)
2. Race Day – Saturday July 25th, 7:30 am to 8:30 am Brockton Oval, Stanley Park.
We strongly encourage you to collect your race package on the Thursday evening as race morning will be busy and there are typically longer line ups. Plus, you get to sleep in!!!
How do I get to the start line?
We encourage participants to use one of the following forms of transportation to get to the Pride Run start line:
1. Walking: It is only a 17 minute walk from the corner of West Georgia and Denman St (the same place you got your race package) and a great way to loosen up those legs! The following map shows the fastest route there: https://goo.gl/maps/8CFKb
2. Biking: A free Bike Valet (and bag check) will be provided at the race site. Biking to the Run/Walk is a great warm up and as an example, it is only a 20 minute ride from the Yaletown Roundhouse https://goo.gl/maps/5o2Qk. (Note that bag check closes at 11.30am)
3. Public Transit: Bus 019 will get you within a 10 min walk of the race site, dropping you off at the Stanley Park Bus Loop. Here is the map to the race site from the bus stop: https://goo.gl/maps/Hoqe5
4. Car Pool: We recommend you park at the following parking lot outlined in the map below. Note that parking enforcement is in effect and you must follow parking payment rules as posted in the park.
What should I expect as I arrive?
If you’re super eager like us and happen to arrive before the 9.00am warmup session, expect to find the race site buzzing with volunteers and lots of rainbows and colours flying high! The start and finish line is located at Vancouver Pride Societies, ‘Picnic In the Park’. Be sure to plan to stay after the race for entertainment, food (and a beer garden – you will need to have ID).
There is a water fountain located near the washrooms of the Brockton Oval Fieldhouse, and there will be plenty of gender neutral portable washrooms set up specifically for the event.
There will be a Bike Valet that will also provide a Bag Check. The Bike Valet folks will provide you with a ticket for your gear. Bag check does not cost anything.
7:30 AM – 8:30 AM Package Pickup
If you were not able to attend the Thursday evening Race Package pickup, this is your last chance. Remember, we need to CLOSE check-in at 8:30 in order to get all last minute entries to our timing folks. And yes, in case you bring a friend or decide last minute to participate, you can register as a new participant during this time too!
9.00 AM Pre-Race Announcements & Warm Up
This year we have Kirk Williams of CBC Television hosting the event and will open the day up with his charismatic demeanour all while getting you pumped up and prepped for the day’s race. There will be music, there will be colours and there will be lots of eager beavers… so if you’re not a morning person, be sure to have your triple shot café espresso prior to arrival!
9.30 AM Start
We will be starting the 10 k participants at 9:30 sharp and the 5 km folks will take off 10 minutes after – this will help alleviate congestion during the first few hundred metres of the course. The course will feature spectators, a disco water station, and glorious views as you run on the seawall and through Stanley Park. Simply follow the posted signs and watch for our great volunteers on the course route and you’ll be sure to finish up at the finish line along with everyone else – it doesn’t hurt to review the course map before the race too.
Once you cross the finish line head over to collect your bag from bag check, change into something comfortable (or not, it’s not a fashion parade) and meander on over to ‘Picnic In the Park’ hosted by the Vancouver Pride Society. In addition to the post-race snacks provided by Urban Fare, there will be food available for purchase from the Picnic in the Park.
For those of you over 19 years of age and have I.D with you, why not treat yourself with an adult beverage in the beer garden??
There will be games and festivities and fun for all at no charge. There will be plenty of games like tug-of-war, drag race, even a volleyball tournament hosted by Out In Sports. Make sure you stick around, as the Pride Run/Walk finish line is just the beginning of the day.